Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Alaska Post 3

Wednesday mid morning August 26

This morning early was mostly grooming and re-packing. We had to drop off our suitcases early although we were free to still go about.

Big group (not all) of the fam went to a place called Downtown Deli -- don't let the name scare you, it was high class. Had blueberry sourdough pancakes and reindeer sausage (and eggs).

Monday and Tuesday had been sunny (but still in the glorious 60s). Today is rainy, only it is this misty rain, not pouring. So still very nice to be out and about in. We walked the down town area streets again, I ended up alone as we all wanted different shops. But there is a sense of openness and safety -- again, lots of walkers and tourists. I knew from looking at a visitors map two places I wanted to go and found them. Alaskan Wildberry -- I bought birch syrup, fireweed honey, and some lingonberry and other jelly chocolates-- little Alaskan gourmet treats at this place (food always gets me). Then I went to a whale bone (scrimshaw) outlet and their real carvings were any were from 200 to 2000 dollars, I found some tiny pieces I wanted to give to the kids for 3 for 10.00. So that satisfied me. I wasn't able to go far enough to the residential blocks with the really, really cute houses; I'll have to google them later. I want to remember them for house designing in real life and Second Life.

We are about to get on the bus. The dock is more than an hour away from Anchorage; but we will be embarking as our next activity for the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. How does reindeer sausage taste? I miss you. I have home work. It is reading a story and writing a report. Love Rajah.
    High King watches backyardigans over and over. he likes to roll the bike tire around the front yeard. He also loves the play dough. He goes to bed every night without crying except the first night.

    ReplyDelete